The world community in most cases believes that Texas Hold’em is the only kind of poker. In fact, this is not so, and in this material, we’ll talk about other popular types of poker.
All varieties of poker games do not differ globally because one set of cards and key combinations are used everywhere. In this case, the specific rules and conditions of the game vary and sometimes significantly.
What’s the Major Difference?
Types of poker are primarily distinguished by limits:
- Limited poker. It is characterized by a strict stake limit. Players cannot even retreat from the size of bets accepted in the rules of a specific game.
- Pot-limited. It may be called semi-limit poker. Its peculiarity is in the constant revision of the maximum bet on each round. The size of the bet from one player cannot exceed the total size of the bank at each stage.
- Unlimited. There are no restrictions on the size of bets, except for the amount of the stack there.
The difference between them is possible to notice in the rules. Let’s consider the main types of poker in descending popularity in the world:
- Texas Hold’em. It is on the top of popularity in the world, having its own versions and rules of poker. At the same time, it is the youngest “colleague” whose age is just over 40 years. The universality of the rules and a wide range of opportunities for players, coupled with its active promotion by tournament organizers together with numerous poker rooms and other companies participating in poker life made Hold’em the most popular;
- Omaha. The variations and rules of Omaha Poker mean placing the same 5 cards on the table, and 4 cards are dealt with the player, instead of 2 cards in Hold’em. In this case, the combination is made according to the standard rules, i.e., there are only three board cards and two on the hands. Among the varieties of Omaha are Courshaewell and Five-card Omaha, which have distinctive differences from the main type, but are used as special games;
- Stud. There are no shared board cards and the combination is collected only from hand cards. Among the types of stud are five and seven-card poker, and in some types, the cards of players remain open to assess the situation by opponents;
- Draw. This is Holdem’s predecessor in popularity, which retired. It has no cards on the board, provides the possibility of exchanging inconvenient cards for those, which did not come out of the pack at the croupier in three rounds. There are no cards open for opponents, regardless of the variety;
- Fast Poker. This is a variation for playing the game online behind the terminal of the poker room. It limits players at the time of decision making, which accelerates the number of hands up to 4 times in comparison with the game at the table;
- Caribbean Poker. This is traditional for a casino 5-card poker with an exchange against the institution. There can be paid and free exchanges and a mass of various nuances.
Becoming a professional player is not limited to studying one direction of the game. In each of the presented varieties, there are little things that can facilitate your “work” in a chosen direction. Restrictions imposed by the rules of the game must be perceived as an additional tool for influencing opponents, and not the cause of defeat or errors.